Friday, November 13, 2015

The Great Providence Of Almighty God

I believe in the Providence of God. What is "providence" anyway? I suppose a great way to describe it is this......the divine, sovereign, and benevolent control of all things in heaven and on earth by God. In other words, God is able to intervene, alter, and arrange things at will. Things of nature and things in our lives.

The way I look at it is that when it comes to God intervening, a lot depends on "if He so chooses". In other words, God either allows things to happen, or He makes things happen. Things may happen in this life that are bad, but that is the result of the fall of man, not by an act of God. The sin and corruption that entered this world through the disobedience of Adam and Eve, and the influence of Satan, has consequences. God is not going to fix every disease, every disaster, and make perfect peace rule. That is, not until Jesus returns. 

Can we convince God to act? The answer is without a doubt...yes! However, there are conditions. God, who is sovereign and has all authority, has to choose to act, or choose not to. It's up to Him. In either case, it demonstrates His authority and sovereignty.

What's difficult for me is understanding why He chooses not to act or intervene sometimes. I guess none of us will ever know. Maybe no action on His part is for a bigger purpose that we cannot see. Or maybe no action is simply God saying that it doesn't matter to Him either way in the big-picture scheme of things.

I'm OK with God not answering my prayers as long as I know that He at least hears and considers my requests. That's good enough for me. I'll leave it up to Him to decide the outcome. However, one thing is certain - He wants us to ask. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philippians 4:6)

One thing about the providence of God that I really like is this....He is able to interact with us on a real-time basis. God is truly an interactive God. He is alive and well, and ever-present. And what is so comforting is the fact that, if we are His, He ultimately works everything in our favor, for our good. He is the perfect Father. 

Yes, I believe in the providence of God - that He has the power and authority to control all things. And I believe that His motivation to interact with us is this....Love. That's why He works things in our favor, and that's why He sent Jesus to save us. So, I'll conclude by echoing the words of King David:

 "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all." (1 Chronicles 29:11-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment