Saturday, October 18, 2014

Why The Earth Is Round

Here's how I imagine the exchange that went on in heaven between God and His angels before the creation of the world. God had been planning the layout for the physical world, and it was time to reveal it to the angels. Let's take it from there.

God: "I am going to create a physical realm."  
Angels: "What's a physical realm?"
God: "You wouldn't understand. Just trust me. I'm also going to create something called time."
Angels: "What's time?"
God: "Never mind. You wouldn't understand that either. Just trust me."
Angels: "Why do you want to create a physical realm?"
God: "So I can create an environment for my greatest creation of all...humans."
Angels: "What's humans?"
God: "They will be living creatures who will see and hear and think and breathe and talk and smell and touch and taste and......."
Angels: "What will they look like?"
God: "I will create them sort of in my image, but each one of them will be a little different."
Angels: "How many are you going to create."
God: "Just one to start with. But there will be more, many more."
Angels: "Where are these humans going to live?" 
God: "Here's the good part. I'm going to create a physical universe that has no end. It will sort of reflect our spiritual eternal realm in a physical way. They won't be able to comprehend it totally, or figure it out completely, but that's ok. Maybe they'll realize I exist even though they won't be able to see me."
Angels: "Where will they be in this universe?"
God: "They will be on a planet they will call Earth. I will place Earth perfectly in the universe near a sun that will warm them, and a moon that will give them light at night."
Angels: "How long and wide will this planet be?"
God: "It will be round."
Angels: "What!? Round? You mean like a sphere? Why round?"
God: "One reason is so I can contain them all in one place."
Angels: "If it's round, won't they fall off?
God: "I will create something mysterious - something incredible - it will be called gravity - and allow them to stand anywhere, even up-side-down without falling off. Not to mention that I'm going to make the planet spin. There's a lot more to it."
Angels: "How can that be? It sounds impossible."
God: "Nothing is impossible with you know who."
Angels: "What a genius idea."
God: "Thanks for the praise."
Angels: "What's going to hold this planet up?"
God: "Nothing. I'm going to sort of hang it in the middle of nowhere, then give everything a spin, and watch it all go. The universe will always be sort of alive in the sense that it will be always in motion."
Angels: "Crazy!"
God: "It's all about the spin. That's another reason I'm making the planets round."
Angels: "These humans will be amazed at Your creation."
God: "Some will. But many will not believe I created the universe, and will not believe in me. Non-believers will think they have the universe and the planets all figured out. Those are the ones who think they don't need me."
Angels: "That's terrible."
God: "Yes, but I will make it obvious in so many ways that I exist. I hope they will be convinced, and that they will see me, even though I'm invisible."
Angels: "Can we go to visit this Earth someday?"
God: "Once in a while I will send you - as my messengers, and to minister to them in different ways. But if they see you, it will probably scare them half to death."
Angels: "We can't wait to meet these humans."
God: "You will eventually. You see, the ones who choose to come to me and love me will someday dwell eternally with us. They will be called my children, and I will be called their Father."
Angels: "What's the whole point of this plan?"
God: "It's called love."
Angels: "Will they be able to earn Your love?"
God: "No it's free to them, if they choose to believe and obey me. But it won't be free to me. It will cost more than you can imagine."
Angels: "Why?"
God: "Because I will give them free will. And they will have a choice whether to believe in me and follow me, or reject me. But most of them will reject me."
Angels: "Sad."
God: "Their free will is the only way I can be sure that their love is real, and that it's their personal choice."
Angels: "How will You show them Your love?"
God: "It's a plan that is bigger than the universe. I will reveal it to you eventually. You will even be involved in it someday. It will require great sacrifice on my part. But it will be worth it in the end. You will be amazed."

"It is I who made the earth  and created mankind upon it. My own hands stretched out the heavens; I marshaled their starry hosts." (Isaiah 45: 12)

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..." (Isaiah 40:22)

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! " (Job 38:4-5a)

 "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (Romans 1:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment